Problem Based Learning : Collision and Clustering with Jesus

Problem Based Learning : Discipleship

What did he do differently? How did he do it? When did he do it? Problem based learning, as a teaching method, constructs a field of openness for those in our midsts that we are responsible for (1 JOHN 2) and for those that we come in contact with (RICHARD FLORIDA WHO’S YOUR CITY). Check out the requirements of what an inclusive project (PBL / BIE) looks like and how Jesus may have approached his interaction with the disciples to guide them through the anthropological and sociological interactions that caused them to collide and cluster with the world around them. What does this mean for me?

The Fayette Visioning Summit

I have been thinking a lot about elements of STEAM (WHAT IS STEAM) and what that means for me. We, the students and faculty at Spring Hill Elementary School (LINK) have been diving into STEAM this school year (THE JOURNEY) and I recently went as far as presenting the possible position creation of a STEAM coordinator (PROPOSAL) to Dr. Joseph Barrow, the Fayette County school district superintendent. The journey continued as I read in the paper Wednesday evening about the Fayette Visioning Summit. I had to go and learn more as this is my community is part of the mission in making connections and building relationships. These collisions and clusters, positive elements of a city that Richard Florida describes in his book referenced earlier, are times with people when ideas are generated and spark start up thoughts for visions of the future. The goal was to catch the vision and be part of it. I think of Jesus praying to his Father about this (THE LORD’S PRAYER) and responding to so many of his followers about vision, empowerment, action, and changing lives through his saving message.

This made me think of home differently. Where is home? What is home? Who … is home? Jesus does this as, well. He claims that he is home (I AM THE WAY) and I can go there and be a part of this. Jeremy Anderson (LINKEDIN) and Abby Hirsch Phillips (LINKEDIN) set the scene in my mind of what this looked like as a process directly where I physically lived. It is unique to have grown up in the community, gone away for educational pursuits, returned to the community, and now, 15+ years later, be so keyed into these thoughts about vision and action!

The vision casting continued as Rob Parker (LINKEDIN) shared about place and purpose. The question that continued to surface in my mind was all about contribution. Lasting contribution that has a distinct bent on purpose, empathy, compassion. Again, this is the Jesus factor here in that the reason for live revolves around purpose and place. Richard Florida used data to share that people value a sense of place, the closeness of friends and family, and a sense of faith. Invariably, that definition is diverse to many people past, present, and future. What does that mean for me?

Francis Chan in his book Crazy Love (MORE QUOTES) has some challenges outlined that really place value on love. I have recently been listing back through this book on some long runs and actually while driving to the Fayette Visioning Summit. All these thoughts were fresh in my mind.

Rob Parker shared some great stories about the impact we hope we can make. Jesus challenged his disciples to go make more (RESOURCE VS 16-20) and they did not exactly know what that meant for them but they new that this was real and would change their lives and those of others for eternity. For me, this looks like community, experience, problems to be solved and extended, and then to repeat these steps and tweak the process. In our garden at Spring Hill Elementary and in the makerspace (A WHAT?), this is constant. Every time the students converge with a mindful vision and we work along side each other we cluster and collide. The school becomes a microcosm of a city where all the elements of a valuable system become apparent and real.

Community > Competence > Intent

Rob continued to share as I thought through the elements of change that this would mean for me. My mind was honed in on civic matters, matters of the community, and the personal element of faith and living … colliding and clustering … that were going through my mind. Further notes show that my thoughts were on the story. I think that Rob is correct in that there is a story to write and definitely one worth living. Organizing the approach through problem based learning and through discipleship are factors that are relevant and worth looking closely at. On the school front, STEAM as an educational model to approach learning and experience is a powerful mindset to propel decision making towards a vision that is timeless, timely, and appropriate for every levers and intent of learner.